The EU-GCC Clean Energy Technology Network in partnership with the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Muscat and the Oman Water Society, and with the support of the Gulf Cooperation Council Secretariat General (GCC SG), organise an EU-GCC event to be hosted alongside to the Oman Energy & Water 2019. The 2-day event is entitled “Addressing the Energy-Water Nexus through integrated approaches & regional cooperation” and is scheduled for 24-25 April 2019 and will take place at the Oman Convention & Exhibition Centre in Muscat, Oman.
The workshop aims to discuss water and electricity security and affordability, addressing environmental concerns including CO2 emissions and increasing salinity of the gulf as well as possibilities for regional cooperation. Furthermore, the meeting is an opportunity for policymakers, researchers, operators and experts from GCC and EU Countries to elicit the views on the strategies and action plans that would be relevant for the Gulf region.
The workshop aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Build a common understanding of the water and energy nexus as a key driver for climate change mitigation and sustainable development;
- Exchange information on the most appropriate and efficient technologies, including water for energy and energy for water systems including decoupling power generation from desalination.
- Discuss the benefits, opportunities and challenges of adopting an integrated approach to address the water-energy nexus within the context of the current institutional and policy frameworks;
- Discuss opportunities of regional collaboration supporting the concrete implementation of the water-energy nexus concept.
- Provide training on the policy tools and options for promoting integrated strategies, plans and policies on the water-energy nexus.
The event outline, the registration form as well as other useful information for the 2-day event are available at the event's webpage.